Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bainis Eireannach... Irish Wedding!



  

So Joseph’s father Frank collected us at the airport, not sure if he recognized Joseph but he recognized me! We headed to Joseph’s parents house. In all the confusion and excitement of our arrival Frank went around the round about twice. He was trying to give us a nice tour. A lot of things can prepare you for driving in Ireland but in reality those first five minutes in the front passenger seat staring out the window on the wrong side of the road is better then any roller coaster at Disneyland. It was not Franks driving but more my brain telling me something was wrong. Next thing you know we are pulled up outside the house only to be greeted by a one eyed cat named (no name). The house is a lovely bungalow as they call them in Ireland overlooking Frank’s farm. The chickens had gone to sleep…that’s right chickens on the back yard. We all headed inside to find Auntie Maureen Frank’s sister was there to greet us. It has been a long day but we finally made it.

 Frank's farm
feeding the horses with Frank!
 The next morning the house was a bustle with appointment making for nails, hair, and Joseph desperately needed a shave.  Frank dropped us into town to do some shopping. At this point in our sailing journey I have read over 15 books. Normally I do not enjoy reading but on the boat there lots of time for reading. So it was time to add some more books to my collection. Joseph said he knew just the spot. Three and a half hours later toting 20 books enough to see me through to December, we took the bus to Mary Bernadette’s house for dinner. Frank and Auntie Maureen joined us there.  Mary made a delicious steak dinner. Her house is beautiful and very well organized! We had a lovely evening filled with wine and laughter.

The following day was the wedding. We woke up early enough to have a fry up with Frank and I headed off to get my hair colored and cut. I was a bit apprehensive to have this done anywhere but home although Mary assured me that this girl was good.  Turns out Mary had never even met the stylist but her friends had and everything worked out ok. Frank picked me up and even paid my tip. I still had not made it to an ATM in Ireland. On a side note Irish people tend to be a bit fanatical about weddings. It is important to look your best so instead of wearing a hat these folk put birds in their hair or at least that what I would call it. (check out you tube.Put A Bird On It) Alison that’s for you!
                                                                                      
 

 Back at the farm, we dressed up and made our way to the wedding. The church was part of the University College Cork grounds. It was where the groom, Joseph’s friend Michael had graduated from which turns out is a requirement to get married there.
The church was beautiful. Built over 800 years ago when the university was founded. We were on time for a change thanks to Frank keeping us on schedule.
The ceremony began, I don’t know if it was to save money or to keep it entertaining but one of the bridesmaids who are sister to the bride played the violin. She also did a reading and sang a song. The bride Claire looked beautiful. It was a full mass but moved along quickly. During the service the heal on my $10.00 TJMaxx black pump broke. I was like nooooo…
Joseph assured me there would be a cobbler near by.  As the church emptied out and the mandatory group photo began, Joseph was already one the case to find me a cobbler.

We were off to meet the cobbler. He recommended doing both heals and charged me 10.00 euro, which is equivalent to $13.00. He did say that now people would see me not hear me coming.  Off to the reception we went. We arrived a little late because Joseph decided to take me on a tour of Cork during Friday night traffic. The reception was at Castle martyr. It was beautiful place for a reception. Apparently it use to be a boarding school for boys run by brothers. The place was huge and now is used for functions and it has golf course.

The meal was spectacular even if they did forget to give my vegetables. Joseph made sure I got my greens because he wants to keep me healthy. We danced the night away to a live band until 4am. It was a blast. Then we headed back to Swan Lake, Bed and Breakfast, no lie it was named after the lake with swans on it in the front.

We had good nights sleep and drove back to Ballygarven the following day to watch the all Ireland hurling match between Cork and Claire. If you have never seen this game it is a cross between hockey and lacrosse.  What an exciting game it was! I’m definitely an armchair supporter. Cork lost but it was one hell of a game. Then it was time to jump back in the car to go back to Castlemartyr for the day after the wedding barbeque. The barbeque was held at Pat Shorts Pub. It was nice to visit with all of our new friends from the night before. I was hurting and could not drink anymore. We brought Joseph’s sister along to see if we could find her a man but none of the grooms hurling buddies showed up due to the defeat that Cork had endured earlier in the day. Better luck next time Mary! (Joseph told me to write that)

We enjoyed our last day in Cork with a trip to mass and dinner at Mary B’s house. Frank was not feeling well so Mary made us dinner in. Later that afternoon we headed to Fermoy to visit with Mary and John Noonan. Mary has been a family friend for as long as I can remember. Joseph and I had a great visit with Mary, John, Dennis, and Noreen, Mary’s sister. Mary made her brown bread, which I love, and also some delicious merigue pie. We really enjoyed our time at Cregg farm and look forward to many more visits!


Mary and John showing off the pot holder that Joan Bergin made for them!


   An oldie but a goodie...Joseph, Mary, & Fergus!!!

 The following day we left cork and headed back to the boat in Sardinia.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment