Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Life Changing Event


When we returned to Sicily we had to rent a car to get back to the boat.  Now, renting a car should be easy right, well not in Sardinia. Joseph had previously booked online and when we turned up at the airport the rental car attendant was trying to double charge us. I have noticed a running theme here in Italy, they charge whatever they want unless you speak up. An hour and a half later we were on the road and the price was reduced. It took us three hours to drive back down to the southern coast of Sardinia. Zimbabalooba was left in great shape thanks to Christian and Joy. We spent the day doing laundry and grocery shopping for our 195-mile trip from Sardinia to Sicily. Now the weather window for this crossing was good so we decided to leave. We were feeling excited for this crossing because we knew were going to see family on the other side.
 
As I was taking a shower in the back of the boat, yes we shower outside sometimes and use the hose with the warm water being heated through the engine.  I noticed something moving above the water. We quickly grabbed the binoculars to get a better look. It was like a black stick and another type of pole sticking up and moving through the water. Joseph was very quick to realize it was a submarine! It must have been an old Italian diesel sub. We only saw the periscope and smoke stack.  I am sure they saw more of me then I did of them! It was really neat and I had been hoping we would see one.

It was during my evening shift that my life would change for the better. I usually do the 9-2 shift during an overnight sail. I was doing great reading my book by red light and making sure we did not hit any other boats. I have to go down every hour and record our whereabouts in the log. I think I have mentioned this before. It was at this time that Joseph got up from bed and came up on deck to see how I was doing. Now normally he would not get up at all because he knows the sleep is important and also cause I usually will not wake up again till 8am.

It was a little after midnight when he arrived on deck. I remember saying to him if your going to stay up then I will go to bed. He said no wait aren’t the stars so beautiful. I was surprised by his romanticism.  He said a lot of other sweet things then out of no were he got down on one knee with the red light on his head and asked me to marry him. I said yes!  He gave me a placement ring to hold the spot on my finger till we pick out what ring I want. Joseph is the most thoughtful and selfless man I have ever known. I am excited to spend the rest of my life with him.

We made it into Trapani, Sicily after 42 hours at sea. We were both exhausted!
We could not wait to call our parents and families and tell them the good news. My brother Joe was defiantly the most excited for us; it was great to share our news with our families!
 
Joseph and I celebrated in style the following night with dinner at a delicious fish restaurant and ice cream to follow. Now the ice cream or Gelato as the Italians like to call it is truly an experience. The good gelateria’s have over 16 flavors. My favorite part about getting ice cream is that they let you try as many as you want!So far I am partial to the chocolate and the candy bar flavors. Joseph really likes the café flavor but it is very strong.   
I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!
 

More blogs to come!

Helicopter ...
 An underground chapel within a church

No comments:

Post a Comment